Filipino Travel Agency, Royal Vacations Travel

DSWD (Philippines) Travel Clearance for Minors


Travel Clearance for Minors:

To prevent child trafficking, Republic Act 7610 (otherwise known as Special Protection of Children Against Child Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act) requires unaccompanied minors below 18 years old who are traveling abroad to secure a travel clearance from the Department of Social Welfare and Development.

A Travel Clearance is a document issued by the DSWD to a minor traveling outside the Philippines, alone or unaccompanied by his parents, certifying that the minor is authorized to travel abroad for valid reasons. A Travel Clearance is not required if the minor is traveling with both his/her parents. If, however, the minor is traveling with only one of his/her parents, the parent who will be left behind shall execute a duly-notarized Parental Travel Permit (in a form prescribed by DSWD) certifying that he/she is allowing the minor to travel with his/her spouse.

Who Are Required to Secure A Travel Clearance?

1. Children below 18 years old traveling abroad and who are in any of the following circumstances:

- Traveling alone;

- Traveling with a person other than his/her parents or those exercising parental and legal custody of the child;

- Traveling for the purpose of adoption abroad (inter-country adoption);

- Minor adopted in the Philippines;

2. An illegitimate child traveling with his/her father; and

3. A minor traveling with a group for sports competition, cultural presentation, pilgrimage or study tours.

Who Can File for Travel Clearance?

1. A minor who is 13 to 17 years old;

2. The minorís parents or legal guardians;

3. The minorís traveling companion; and

4. Authorized representative of the minorís parents/legal guardian

What Are the Requirements for Minors Traveling Abroad?

I. Travel Clearance (Minors Unaccompanied by Parent/s or Person/s Exercising Parental Authority)

1. Birth Certificate on security paper (SECPA) of the minor;

2. Marriage certificate of minorís parents, if appropriate;

3. Notarized affidavit of consent from parents/guardian authorizing a particular person to accompany child in his/her travel abroad;

4. Notarized affidavit of support of sponsor indicating employment and salary certified by the employer, if appropriate;

5. Latest Income Tax return of sponsoring person and/or parents with official confirmation receipts;

6. Two passport size pictures of minor;

7. Photo copy of passport and visa of travelling companion.

The following are the additional requirements:

1. For immigrant minors:

- Visa petition approval

2. For minors to study abroad:

- Acceptance from the school where child is to be enrolled

3. For minors to attend conference, study tours, etc:

- Certification from sponsoring organization

4. For minors going abroad for medical purposes:

- Medical certificate of child

5. For adopted minors:

- Certified copy of adoption decree

- Clearance from the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) if adoption was promulgated less than 15 days when application for clearance to travel was made.

6. For minor under legal guardianship:

- Certified copy of Letter of Guardianship / Court Order

7. For minor who is 13 years old and above travelling alone:

- Affidavit executed by parents or legal guardian stating that minor shall be fetched at the airport by the sponsor.

- Certification for unaccompanied minors from airlines.

8. Additional requirements such as baptismal certificate or school records and the like may be presented depending upon the purpose of minorís travel.

For subsequent travels, the following are required:

- Certificate of travel previously issued;

- Notarized affidavit of consent from parents/guardian authorizing a particular person to accompany child in his/her travel abroad;

- Photo copy of passport and visa of travelling companion.

II. Parental Travel Permit

(Minors Accompanied by One Parent or Persons Exercising Parental Authority)

- Parental Travel Permit

- Birth Certificate on security paper (SECPA)of the minor;

- Marriage contract of parents;

- Photo copy of passport and visa of accompanying parent.

What Are the Procedures in the Issuance of a Travel Clearance?

1. Applicant fills up application form and submits supporting documents (one copy each) to the DSWD Regional Office which has jurisdiction over the applicantís residence. (Application must be filed at least seven (7) days prior to the scheduled departure of the minor or even earlier if the minor still has to get a passport)

2. The social worker reviews the accomplished application form and documents submitted and makes an assessment through interviews or home visit, if necessary.

3. If result of the assessment is favorable, the social worker recommends approval for issuance of travel clearance. If not, the Department shall request the Bureau of Immigration to place the child on its hold- departure list and shall notify the parent of the child of the said action.

4. The DSWD Field Director or his/her authorized representative signs and issues the ďCertificate of Travel Abroad for Minor.Ē The certificate is valid for six months, and effective for only one travel.

For Inquiries:

Metro Manila residents may call up 523-9117 or 525-2445 or go to 1680 F.Tirona Benitez St., Malate, Manila.

Non-Metro Manila residents may get in touch with DSWD Field Offices nationwide.

Information above are obtained from the Philippine government website,

Filipino Travel Agency, Royal Vacations Travel